November 2, 2012

Be Grateful For What You Have & Give Back #SandyHelp

It would be impossible to go through this week and not acknowledge the sadness, the fear and appreciation for what you have after Hurricane Sandy.  I lived in New York my entire life up until a few years ago and it is still home to my family and many of my friends.

Words cannot express how fortunate I feel that my little sisters live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and therefore never lost power.  My parents live in Westchester where they will likely go without it for the next 10 days as crews do their triage assessment of what to fix first and what affects the most people.  They don't care, they're just glad they are okay and their children are safe.

I Helped donate to sandy little girl, Hurricane Sandy, Donate supplies for Hurricane Sandy, Children donating supplies for Sandy Victims

As you know, many have not been nearly as fortunate and there are far too many stories that are so sad I can't even bring myself to link to them.  Instead I'd rather focus on what can be done to help.  Yesterday one of my husband's friends posted on Facebook letting people far away know how we could help.  

It was a call for supplies to deliver to shelters - warm clothes, baby food, diapers, batteries, board games for kids who lost everything and need something to keep them occupied during their long days in a shelter.  Truly the basics that you hope never to find yourself in need of.  


I Helped donate to sandy little girl, Hurricane Sandy, Donate supplies for Hurricane Sandy, Children donating supplies for Sandy Victims

Kayla and I immediately got to work.  We went through her drawers and rounded up all of her warm pajamas, sweatshirts, leggings and jacket from last year and I explained that the big storm we had been talking about ruined other kids clothes and they needed these to keep warm.  

In the past Kayla was more hesitant to give things away but this time she got it right away.  She told me that she would help the kids who don't have clothes because of the big storm and that helping is good.  I have to admit I wanted to squeeze her at that moment. 

I Helped donate to sandy little girl, Hurricane Sandy, Donate supplies for Hurricane Sandy, Children donating supplies for Sandy Victims

We didn't go out to the store and buy all new things to donate, but just going through our drawers and closets we rounded up a bunch of clothes, some games and puzzles, some baby food samples I had recently been sent, a bunch of Boogie Wipes for runny little noses and even some brand new baby bottles and clothes I had forgotten about from buying gifts for others.  

It just goes to show that even if you don't have a lot of extra money laying around, you can put together a box of supplies that may not mean much to you, but would mean the world to someone who so desperately needs it.  

Today I'll be shipping our box out and encourage you to find a way to help those in need too.  Whether it's a cash donation to a reputable charity like the Red Cross or something a little more grass roots like what we are doing, someone will be incredibly grateful for whatever you can give and quite frankly it feels good to do something and makes for another great teachable moment for your kids.  

I Helped donate to sandy little girl, Hurricane Sandy, Donate supplies for Hurricane Sandy, Children donating supplies for Sandy Victims

If you'd like to find out how to donate supplies by shipping them to the East Coast just like we are doing please feel free to email me at testme@mommytesters.com for details and a list of supplies our friends are gathering.  

So hug your kids, be grateful for what you have and please start giving if you haven't already!
Pin It button on image hover