November 8, 2012

A Very Smiley Sun Induced Arnold Palmer

Being sick was a bit of a novelty in my parent's home.  When you were sick on my mother's watch you got relocated to a comfortable couch with unlimited TV and endless ginger ale.  If you were battling a sore throat there was even a bell to ring to let her know you needed something!  To this day I still remember using (and abusing) that bell.

This week I had a patient of my own and it wasn't Kayla.  It was my husband who was having knee surgery.  So, as I was unpacking some groceries the other day and thinking about how I could spoil him a bit while he was recovering I had a little aha moment.

Arnold Palmer mocktail with Lipton Tea & Honey packets #FamilyTeaTime

Normally I'd look for some special beer or make a neat new cocktail as a surprise for him.  However, with surgery anything that involved alcohol was out of the question, so I'd need a "mocktail." My husband loves a good Arnold Palmer, which is a drink that is half iced tea and half lemonade so I decided to go with that.

We often buy a premixed version but it's difficult to find in grocery stores, frequently out of stock and it's so sugary that you have to dilute it, which can be tricky to get right.  Quite frankly, I'm not sure why we even buy it!

Smiley Ice cube tray for Arnold Palmer mocktail with Lipton Tea & Honey packets from Walmart #FamilyTeaTime

I don't know why I waited so long to try to make a better version myself but clearly there was no better time than now.  A little while back I had bought this smiley face ice cube tray on a whim that it would be of use one day and smiley lemonade ice cubes seemed like the perfect thing for a get-well drink.

Since the temperature here in San Diego is still in the 80's and can often be in the 70's through the winter I thought a "sun induced" Arnold Palmer would be nice.  My thinking was that when you ice a drink in the heat it quickly gets watered down.  This way as the ice melted the drink would transform from iced to into an Arnold Palmer.

 Lipton Tea & Honey packets from Walmart #FamilyTeaTime

I headed to Walmart to grab some lemonade, iced tea and a few things I needed to help make his recovery time at home a little more enjoyable.  After resisting some tempting holiday gift distractions I came home with these pre-measured Lipton Tea & Honey Iced Black Tea To-Go packets, some Simply Lemonade, and a new iced tea pitcher for one.

In the hopes of keeping my patient happy I also grabbed some gummy bears, which are his favorite candy and a couple of magazines to keep him from getting too bored or overdosing on CNBC.

Arnold Palmer lemonade ice cubes with Lipton Tea & Honey packets #FamilyTeaTime

Back at home I made the smiley lemonade ice cubes and left them to freeze for a few hours.  Then I took a giant break from this project because the great thing about the Tea & Honey packets is that they are instant and ridiculously easy to use.

I just filled up a regular bottle of water (which is 16.9 ounces) dumped one packet in and shook it for about a minute.  That was it.  No brewing, cooling or flavoring!   All of that is already done by Lipton.  The tea mixed up without leaving behind any of that gritty powder that you might notice if you have ever tried traditional iced tea mixes.

Arnold Palmer mocktail with Lipton Tea & Honey packets smiley ice cubes #FamilyTeaTime

How you want to drink your Arnold Palmer is up to you.  You can put those smiley guys right into the pitcher and let them melt into an iced tea and lemonade mixture before you pour it.  Alternatively you can put a few lemonade ice cubes in a glass, pour a delicious iced tea and enjoy that cool drink which starts as tea and transforms into an Arnold Palmer.

You can also adjust the iced tea to lemonade proportion as you like.  I found that about 3 lemonade ice cubes were just right for a 12 ounce glass of the Tea & Honey.

Arnold Palmer cocktail with Lipton Tea & Honey packets from Walmart 5 calories #FamilyTeaTime

I used the Tea & Honey to-go packets to make my drink but there are also pitcher packet versions of the Lipton Tea & Honey if you're making drinks for a group.  You simply follow the instructions on the packet and adjust the amount of lemonade ice cubes to your taste.  I didn't find the pitcher packets in my Walmart but they work the same way and are available at most Walmart stores. There are also other flavor variations of the Tea & Honey packets like Blackberry Pomegranate Iced Green Tea and Mango Pineapple Iced Green Tea.

I got so inspired by this that naturally I couldn't help but make another Tea & Honey #FamilyTeaTime drink fit for a princess, so look out for that soon!

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Lipton #CBias #SocialFabric everything you see is my personal and picky opinion.
Pin It button on image hover