October 10, 2012

Smarties Spiders - Food Allergy Safe and SUPER Cute!

I count my lucky stars constantly that so far (knock on wood) our family has not had to deal with the very scary reality of food allergies.  It's probably safe to say that at this point everyone knows someone who has a food allergy or has a child who may have severe food allergies.  


Halloween is one of those times that parents of kids with allergies must fear the most.  So this year I decided we would make sure that our Halloween candy bowl had something safe for kids with food allergies that was still fun, and that led me to Smarties. 

Smarties are a candy classic, but I never knew that they are actually one of the safest candies out there for people with allergies.  Smarties are gluten free, not manufactured in a facility that contains nuts and dairy free as well.  That's a tough list to check off!  I feel like every piece of food packaging I read says that the item is manufactured in a facility that contains nuts.  



I think it's important to mention that while Smarties are one of the safer products out there, there are still going to be people who may have an allergy to the ingredients in Smarties so feel free to check out the allergen info on Smarties.

There are a few kids in Kayla's school that have serious food allergies, so with them in mind I decided to make these Smarties spiders.  They're cute, Pinterest worthy and SO easy to put together that if I can do it I'm sure you can too! Here are some step by step instructions to make your own Smarties spiders.














And there you have it!  It's really so easy that this is a project you could do with your child.  Kayla and I are making a bunch to hang by our front door for Halloween since they make cute decorations too!

Should you happen to be one of those people that can't help but dip into the candy bowl (I don't know anyone like that) you'll be happy to hear that a pack of Smarties is only 25 calories...shhhh, don't tell my husband or we will have none left for the trick-or-treaters!  #IAmASmartie

That being said, would anyone like to win a Smarties prize pack???  You'll get everything you see below including some more difficult to find Smarties products like Tropical Smarties and X-Treme Sour Smarties!



a Rafflecopter giveaway

Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Smarties. #CBias #SocialFabric everything you see is my own quite picky opinion and seriously, who doesn't love Smarties??
Pin It button on image hover