October 11, 2012

Leaving On A Jet Plane...

So I've got a couple little secrets to share...no mom, I'm not pregnant!

One is that I'm being extra selfish this weekend and tossing my mommy duties out the window.  I will not be playground hopping, finishing up this month's Kiwi Crate or letting Kayla turn me into a frog with her magic wand for the 300th time this week.

Instead I will be sipping an adult beverage, spending some quality time with my husband (who has been amazing and supportive as I write until the wee hours of the morning) and watching two people who truly belong together get married in Cabo.


Part of that plan includes actually unplugging so you'll have to excuse me for a couple of days as I neglect the online world during my electronic detox.  The only device that will accompany me will be my Kindle which is ready to go with Kelle Hampton's Bloom.  I read her Parents Magazine article years ago and her candor and emotion made it unforgettable so I can't imagine skipping this book.

That leads me to secret number two.  When we get back from Cabo I'll be taking Kayla to the Infantino Everybody Plays event for what I guess you could call her first (and last) "modeling gig" apart from showing you her silliness on Mommy Testers, much like this.


I've always said I would never let my child participate in any kind of "show biz"...perhaps watching Toddlers and Tiaras while pregnant permanently scarred me.   However, this seems different - a bunch of kids playing with toys and having a good time.  I also like the message behind Infantino's campaign which honors children of all shapes and sizes and looks to be inclusive while celebrating individuality.

So I'm excited that Kayla will get to participate and who knows, maybe she'll freak out and not want to take any pictures or maybe we'll see her on the box of a Step2 product next year. I know she would get quite a thrill seeing herself as we roam the aisles of Target, which we do more often than I'd like to admit.  Who is the photographer for the event? Someone I respect as a mother, a writer and a photographer...none other than Kelle Hampton herself.

Wish us luck (no freak outs!) and of course I'll let you know how things go next week.  Have a great weekend!  I'll be trying to keep mommy guilt from getting the best of me...based on this picture I'm doomed.




Pin It button on image hover