October 2, 2012

Easy Art/Distraction - Noodle Snail

The other day as Kayla and I were walking into her school we saw a ton of snails in the flower beds outside the preschool.  Whenever we see cool bugs, crazy plants or animals on the go I usually try to snap a picture of them for her with my phone so she can revisit the memory later.

easy art for preschoolers, macaroni art, noodle art, pasta art, snail art for kids


After school Kayla was still interested in the snails and was begging me yet again to "do art" so I told her she could make her own snail, a noodle snail.  Do you remember making things like this at school?  I do!  I'm sure somewhere in my parent's attic there is a box filled with project like this one.

easy art for preschoolers, macaroni art, noodle art, pasta art, snail art for kids


I did my best to draw a quick snail outline with a small excited person hovering over me.  I grabbed an old half-used box of pasta from our pantry ( I knew I was saving it for a reason!) and let Kayla glue away!  This kept her occupied for a good 15 minutes which feels like an eternity as a parent.  While she was doing that, I was able to do all the prep work for dinner and then join her to play with the leftover pasta.

This is one of those moments where you can go in a bunch of different directions like:
- counting the pieces
- tracing them
- talking about smooth vs rough textures
- seeing how many pieces lined up are equal in length to some other object
-see how many it takes to fill certain items
-letting your child cook you a very nice meal in their toy kitchen.  We have this Hape kitchen  and I love it!

I'm sure there are a thousand more things you could do too.  This Noodle snail is getting mailed to Grandma and Grandpa and I'm pretty sure they will love it.  Have a good idea for what we should make next?  I'd love to hear it!
Pin It button on image hover