September 28, 2012

Is your husband set in his ways? Mine Is - Is Change Possible?

Does your husband have old clothes that he refuses to part with?  That just makes him a man I suppose.  Me?  I can't get rid of old worn-out stuff fast enough.  I'm speed dialing Goodwill while cleaning out the drawers.  My husband, not so much.

Not everyone knows this, but we've got a pretty big age gap.  He's about a decade older than me and I think many years of being a single man have left him  allergic to change set in his ways.  Now don't get me wrong, he IS actually a pretty stylish guy on the outside but there are 2 things about the way he dresses that just kill me.

My Husband's plaid boxers and tube socks that really need an upgrade  #MaLoUnderwear


1) Despite his fairly stylish ways and affinity for Hugo Boss shirts he refuses to part with these awful baggy plaid boxers.  I mean seriously?   These boxers are what I envision a 70 year old man wearing with his tube socks out in the yard to retrieve the newspaper.

2) You know the tube socks I mentioned?  He likes those too.  Sigh.

I've tried to encourage him to get with the times and get rid of these plaid monstrosities before with little to no success.  I've even gone as far as full on vandalism and cut giant holes in the back of his most hideous pairs to render them unwearable. (bad wife!)

I cut a giant hole in these boxers to make him get rid of them  #MaLoUnderwear

It's actually kind of a funny story. One night when I had forgotten about my prank where I slipped the holey pairs back in his drawer several pairs down, he came into our home office and with a truly concerned look said " I think we have moths." He then showed me the 12" hole in the back of the boxers.  Dang! Those would have had to be rhinoceros sized moths!  I admitted my guilt and we both had a good laugh.  He's an awesome sport as evidenced by him pinky swearing not to divorce me even though I am writing this.

MaLo men's underwear display at Kmart #MaLoUnderwear

A good friend recently told me about the new Mario Lopez underwear line MaLo.  Yes, that is Mario Lopez, AKA A.C. Slater, AKA cute dimpled guy from E! So I decided what better time to experiment with getting my husband to upgrade his choices in undergarments without having to shell out the big bucks for a brand like Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren in case SeƱor Stubborn refused.

Mario Lopez MaLo Underwear funny packaging from Kmart #MaLoUnderwear

It turned out that MaLo was available at Kmart near me so I headed there to see what it was all about and figure out if it was a viable replacement for the old man underwear.  First I saw briefs  and some brightly colored boxer briefs and got a bit freaked out.  There was no way he'd go for that!  But then I found a neutral colored pack of boxer briefs and grabbed those.

MaLo men's underwear boxer briefs 3 pack from Kmart #MaLoUnderwear

I'm not gonna lie when I opened the pack my first observation was that they seemed more "Euro" than I expected.  By that I mean  the leg area was pretty short making them seem almost like what a boy short would be in women's underwear.

Much to my surprise he was a more willing participant in this move toward change than I ever anticipated.  He picked them up, examined them carefully and said they were very soft and liked the clean look of them. Then he decided to try them on.  He did and came out looking kind of sheepish.  My worry about the short leg area was right and it was definitely a tough conversion from baggy old man boxers.

MaLo Underwear neutral color boxer briefs from Kmart #MaLoUnderwear

I had a moment of guilt and told him that clearly he was not ready for these!  Baby steps I guess.  If your husband is a little more "evolved" in the underwear department than mine is he will probably love these.  I'm going to need to find something that's more of a middle ground for now, but at least I now know that change is possible for this guy!  Now I need to work on the tube sock situation...

What's going to happen to the #MaLoUnderwear in our house?  Well I've already taken them to add to my pajama drawer.  Quite frankly they are the softest, comfiest pajama shorts I've ever found for less than $5 pair.  So I have to ask - Mario, when will you come out with some stylish boxers or more traditional boxer briefs?  Then I'm pretty sure you'd have a customer for life...you know, besides me.

Just so you know I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and MaLo #CBias #SocialFabric but as always everything you see here is my own picky opinion
Pin It button on image hover