September 5, 2012

Is Your Home Filled with Books? Donate Some! #NickCFK

I don't remember a ton from my early childhood years but one vivid memory I have is the bookshelf in my room.  It ran the entire length of the room and was absolutely packed to the brim with an assortment of children's books.  I spent hours there flipping through them, being read to, reading them by myself and later on reading them to my little sisters.

When I was 7 months pregnant with Kayla she already had quite the little book collection going because I and my parents could not help but buy some of our favorites for my highly anticipated arrival. I never thought of her as "lucky" for having books available to her before she could even understand what they were but here's a fact that made me think twice

61% of low income families have NO books for children in their homes.  

Not a single book!  Reading that made me feel both lucky and pretty awful.  We definitely take books for granted in our home and I have to admit that I haven't done very much to spread the love of reading to those that need it most.  So, when I was offered the opportunity to participate in the  Nickelodeon Big Help Book Drive through Champions For Kids I jumped at it.  

Nickelodeon books, #NickCFK, Big Help Book Drive, Walmart, Champions For Kids, Dora Books, Olivia Books
The Help Them Read! Simple Service Project is a movement to work together as a community and help provide books to children who would otherwise go without them and miss out on building a love of reading from an early age.   I don't need to connect the dots for you, I think we all know that if you can master reading with confidence when you are young, it makes academic life much easier later on.  

Nearly every day for years I passed a little child development center not too far from our home.  When I was researching preschools for Kayla I had discovered that this place,  the Bayview Children's Center was not actually a regular preschool that you enroll your child in but it was a place for lower income families to send their children to while they were looking for work. While it looks like a great community resource, you can tell that they do not have the same luxuries that Kayla's preschool does.

Nickelodeon books, #NickCFK, Big Help Book Drive, Walmart, Champions For Kids

I decided I would host a Nickelodeon Big Help Book Drive at Kayla's preschool where most kids are lucky enough to have an experience with books similar to mine and Kayla's and we would donate all of the books collected to the Bayview Children's Center.  I made a goal of donating at least one book for every child in the entire school so they could each choose one to take home with them.

To get things going I headed to Walmart to buy some books to start off my donation box and pick up some school favorites like Dora.  I spent a lot of time going through the children's section and taking a good look inside of all the books to make sure I was choosing ones that had an appropriate amount of words on a page and easy to follow plots like this Dora book.

Nickelodeon books, #NickCFK, Big Help Book Drive, Dora Books, Walmart

I also grabbed some great classic books like The Berenstain Bears,  I Spy and this Just A School Project book featuring the Little Critter.  I grew up with books like these and now love reading them with Kayla who has developed an affinity for Little Critter in particular.   These are staples in our house and the I Spy one is fantastic for introducing letters in an engaging and fun way.  If you're feeling curious, you can see my whole shopping trip right here:My Big Help Book Drive Shop

Nickelodeon books, #NickCFK, Big Help Book Drive, Walmart, Donation Books

Next week I'll let you know how it went sorting through our books to donate and organizing our book drive.  I'm hoping we can meet our goal of at least one book per child! Are you thinking about getting involved?

Champions For Kids hopes to mobilize 20 million people across the US by 2020 

Kayla and I might be making some small steps in our community but we're hoping you'll be inspired to get involved and host your own #NickCFK Big Help Book Drive!  All those small steps will add up and make a real difference for kids in need.  If you want to learn more about Champions For Kids and find out how you can help make a difference in a child's life through Simple Service Projects you can keep up with Champions For Kids on Facebook and Twitter.


Just so you know, I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Champions for Kids. #NickCFK #CBias as always, everything you see here is my personal (and very picky) opinion and I was honored to participate in this charitable event!
Pin It button on image hover