July 20, 2012

Kiwi Crate Celebration Shop - Paper Dolls

We had to take a break after making our fairy wand and headband because the fairy's mommy was exhausted and declared it bedtime.  In case you missed that, take a look at that here: Kiwi Crate Celebration Shop - Part 1

A few days later (after a lot of begging from the aforementioned fairy) we moved on to the paper dolls project from the Kiwi Crate Fairy Fun gift crate.  

kiwi crate review kiwi crate celebration shop fairy fun kiwi crate gift

One of my favorite things about Kiwi Crate is they give very specific, easy to follow instructions for all of their projects which you can use or ignore as you please.

kiwi crate review kiwi crate celebration shop fairy fun kiwi crate gift


I was very impressed with the materials that Kiwi Crate provided to make the dolls. Let me just say,  I'm not very easy to impress!   Since it's a gift set they included a nice pair of scissors, a full set of markers and a great glue stick.  

I would expect to find strange fabric remnants from the early 90's in craft set for kids.  So Not The Case Here!  Quite frankly, I would be psyched to have clothes made for me out of the adorable graphic prints that came with this project. 


kiwi crate review kiwi crate celebration shop fairy fun kiwi crate gift

Kiwi Crate included a set of templates to cut out clothes for the paper dolls.  They made it really easy to create perfectly sized dresses, shirts and shorts.   Those Kiwi Crate folks really thought of everything when they put this project together because there was even a template for fairy wings!  We were able to trace and cut out a few sets from some neat metallic origami paper.


kiwi crate review kiwi crate celebration shop fairy fun kiwi crate gift

  
I have been meaning to practice tracing more  frequently with Kayla since it seems like a good skill for a 3-4 year old to work on and we had only traced our hands before. She genuinely enjoyed doing it with all the templates and by the time we were done creating a bunch of outfits for our dolls she had really gotten the hang of it.


kiwi crate review kiwi crate celebration shop fairy fun kiwi crate gift

Kayla thoroughly enjoyed choosing from all of the different colors, textures and types of materials that Kiwi Crate put in this project.  The Scissors were surprisingly high quality and worked well to cut the fabric but weren't so sharp that I had to be concerned about her using them.  We crafted away for a good hour on an otherwise chore filled Sunday and it was a nice break and felt like quality bonding time to me.  

While Kayla needed help with a couple of small things she was able to assert her independence and do most of the activity on her own.  As a mother I had remember to step back and let her!  Yes, there is a lesson for parents too in these crates. 

kiwi crate review kiwi crate celebration shop fairy fun kiwi crate gift

Here are our mommy and me paper dolls. I did whip out our own crayons for some flesh colored tones that couldn't have been accomplished with the markers. If you're a 3 year old, clearly this is not of concern. 

Kayla was proud of her doll because "I did it all by myself, mommy didn't help." At 3 1/2 Kayla is on the younger end for Kiwi Crate's suggested 3-7 age group.  If you have an older child you can expect their dolls to look more like mine since I'd say my art skills are on par with a 7 year old.

Remember my little fairy from our last Kiwi Crate post?  Well here is her slightly dressier paper doll version complete with headband and fairy wand!  While Kayla was hard at work putting together her doll and practicing her cutting and tracing skills I put this little one together for her as a surprise.  


kiwi crate review kiwi crate celebration shop fairy fun kiwi crate gift


Kayla had a lot of fun with all 3 projects in the Fairy Fun gift crate.  I like that none of them drove me insane as the assisting adult. The fact that I get to be the hero as the parent presenting this green box of awesomeness each month is kind of fun too!

If you're thinking of trying out Kiwi Crate yourself then there is no better time than now.  Last month I told you about another monthly service I love called Stork Stack and their generous charitable mission.  Kiwi Crate is currently doing something similar this Summer called their Summer of Giving program. 

Now through August 12th for every new subscription ordered Kiwi Crate will donate one crate of art, science and crafting activities to amazing charities like St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and Ronald McDonald House Charities.  

Both of the charities mentioned above are near and dear to my heart.  My husband is a Make A Wish Wish Granter and we have seen so many of his Wish Children and their families benefit from the unbelievable work these charities do.  What a fantastic way to get something great for your child and help a child who could use a pick me up at the same time!

For more information on Kiwi Crate, the Celebration Shop and Kiwi Crate's Summer of Giving program click here: Take me to Kiwi Crate!
Pin It button on image hover